I think that we all know someone who is jobless or who has lost their job, especially in this economy. Some of those people who have lost their jobs get right back on track while others stay down with their spirits broken. When an individual stays down and goes without a job for a long amount of time there is usually an underlying issue. Yes, even during this difficult time in our economy.

That underlying issue is our spirit or attitude. Our spirit and attitude make a huge difference in our relationships, careers and life. We have to be careful in watching all the areas in our lives when a painful event knocks us off course. If we pay too much attention to that one area all of the areas of our lives begin to suffer.
I know from personal experience that when a door closes in your career another one opens. When you fall down you have to learn to pick yourself up.

Here are some tips that may help if you find yourself jobless and with a broken spirit:

- Now is a good time for you to start a workout routine. Go for a long walk or run. Ollie Johnston, one of Walt Disney’s top animators, used to walk to spark creativity. This will help you also get anger out and increase your creativity. Take time to enjoy the simple things.

- Volunteer your time. You will be making a positive impact and you will making a difference. It will do wonders for your attitude.

- Stop watching the TV and don’t spend so much time on the computer. Begin reading inspirational material for an hour or more each day. Too much TV and internet will do nothing but depress you and keep you from getting out of your slump.

- Invest in your personal relationships. If there is ever a time you need the support of those around you it is now. You never know who may be looking for a great employee like you.

- Get a job. It may not be your dream job or the next big step in your career, but it will get you moving in a positive direction while you are searching. Today I looked on a career site and they listed 1,643 jobs in the Nashville area. So if the statistic is true that only 12% of what’s available is listed, that means there is about 13,600 jobs in the Nashville area.

- Use the tools that you have. Use MPI’s job bank, use your MPI Network. There are so many opportunities out there. Do not limit yourself.

Only you are ultimately responsible for your life. Charles Swindoll said it best, “I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude. It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me or say about me, my circumstances, or my position. Attitude keeps me going or cripples my progress. It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope. When my attitudes are right, there is no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me.”

0 comments: