The other day I had an epiphany on gas prices. Yes, when I started driving almost 16 years ago, gas was under $1/gallon. Recently we were paying $3.25/gallon, YIKES! But is it really yikes? Is gas really as bad as you might say? Maybe for some it is, that would be assuming they had the same vehicle they were driving when gas was under $1/gallon.

Most people in the USA do not have a vehicle they use on a daily commute that is 15 years or older. So my epiphany was: Is $3.25/gallon really that bad or do I have a perspective issue? It would be a perspective issue or sticker shock.

Here is my math:

My first car was a 1991 Ford Thunderbird. It got 17 MPG in the city, 20 MPG on the HWY. If I pay $1.50/gal I was getting $0.08/mile. But let's say gas was $0.95/gallon. I would pay $0.05/gal in the city and $0.04/gal on the HWY (mind you that the gas did not stay below $1 long after I got my driver's license).

In my newest car, 2010 Altima, I get 27 MPG in the city, 32 MPG on the HWY. If I pay $3.20/gallon I am averaging $0.11/mile in the city and $0.10/mile on the highway. Given that the gas prices might fall to $2.99/gal I may be pay $0.09 gal on the HWY.

That means that what I am paying in terms of gas per mile has gone up maybe 2 maybe 3 cents in 15 years?

Just a point to ponder. . .

0 comments: