Untitled
I grew up in going to church every week (Sunday, Wednesday, special events, etc.). I also went to a Christian junior college and a Christian university. During which time I have realized that there is a subversion of Christianity in many churches today. There is also a spiritual sub-culture alive and well in the churches today. We have seemed to create a more “marketable and consumer friendly” Jesus, and as a church we have removed the real Jesus and replaced him with our versions that allow us to do what we choose.

"We (the church) have created a phenomenal subculture with  our own media, entertainment, educational system, and political hierarchy so that we have the sense that we're doing a lot. But what we've really done is create a ghetto that is easily dismissed by the rest of society."  Bob Briner, Roaring Lambs
My challenge to you is to do an image search on Jesus and see how many different versions pop up. Even a few years ago a new Jesus made it on the news, it was the “homeboy” Jesus. However in most churches we have a picture of an effeminate Jesus hanging in the “Sunday School” classrooms.
The most disturbing image that I came across was “The Republican Jesus.” What is sad is that this is the way most church goers view Jesus. In fact the Jesus pictured to the right seems to give a thumbs up for you to sit in the pew and judge.


This “Republican Jesus” tells you to focus on your needs and wants. Are you being fed? What is the church doing to serve you? Are there enough programs for you and your family? Is the music too old or too new? Do I like the way this pastor speaks, is he too liberal or conservative? WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?


So now with this Jesus you can live quit comfortably in suburbia, and God forbid anyone make any changes to the worship service you like. You can live in suburbia, play church, go to the programs and never worry about the needs of those around you or around the world.
Church Marketing” and our consumerist attitudes are killing the church from within. We took the real Jesus out a long time ago, and we keep replacing the real Jesus with the Jesus we can live with for the moment.
"It is my contention that the church is almost a nonentity when it comes to shaping culture." Bob Briner, Roaring Lambs
So I challenge you, since we are celebrating Christmas, what does your Jesus look like? Who’s birth are you celebrating this month?


There is a passage in Revelation that is almost always used out of context. It is Revelation 3:20. For those who do not have it memorized the passage says, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. . .” If you read the entire passages he is talking to the church, specifically The Church in Laodicea. Most of the time we paint the picture of Jesus getting the attention of the unbeliever, but this is talking to the church. Read these words and tell me that you do not see a different picture painted.
14"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
Revalation 3:14-22
So the question remains, why is Jesus knocking on the door of the church? Is he knocking on the door of your church? Are you going to let him in or keep him locked out? How did you get him outside anyway?
So again, which Jesus’ birth are you celebrating this month?


The Jesus that I read about and know has a bleeding heart, he loves everyone, every race, every creed, everybody! The Jesus I read about is anti-establishment and anti-bureaucratic, he spent time with people that most of us would shun, he had radical and strange ideas. He lived in the culture and affected culture. He was everything that the church in Suburbia America hates, he would make most of us uncomfortable.
 

0 comments: