onemansdream Well, we have officially begun a new decade. Crazy to think where we all were 10 years ago. Some of us had been panicking about Y2K, all of our technology crashing, bringing the world to a crashing halt. Some of you may still have your Y2K Survival Kit ready to go. Things have changed drastically in the technology world (change drastically to exponentially). Things have probably changed in your life too. Some changes were probably good, while others not so good. If you have been in a rut, 2010 is the year to change that. It is time to start getting some traction.

"There are two kinds of success. One is the very rare kind that comes to the man who has the power to do what no one else has the power to do. That is genius. But the average man who wins what we call success is not a genius. He is a man who has merely the ordinary qualities that he shares with his fellows, but who has developed those ordinary qualities to a more than ordinary degree." ~THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Now on to the real stuff. . .
Several months ago, Michael, a nice looking 26 year old friend wanted to talk to me about life, wanting to know if he was on the right career path. He had graduated from a reputable university 3 years ago (he took the 5 year plan) and had started a career in the meetings/events/hospitality industry. He was actively involved in a great industry organization and everyone seemed to like him. However, Michael was bored and stressed out beyond belief. It was actually putting a stress on his home life. I asked, “Why did you choose to go this route? Why are you doing something you are not passionate about?” Michael replied, “You know I had a wonderful college experience. I came to the university to pursue my passions and dream, I even discovered what I really wanted to do while I was there. However, when I graduated I did nothing to pursue my passion. It was time for me to grow up, get a “real” steady job. I needed to stop pursuing “fun” and “unrealistic” dreams.” 

I smirked, and said, “I too went to your university and a few years ago I was at a leadership dinner at the university. The speaker said that you need to do what you are ENTHUSIASTIC about, what EXCITES you. He explained that enthusiasm comes from the Greek word ENTHEOS which means God in you, God breathed God inspired.” He told me that he had been at that dinner too, but that never clicked until now.

What do you enjoy doing the most? If money was no object, what would you be doing? What would you spend your time on? When does time fly by the most for you? Does the same answer to these questions keep coming up? Did someone tell you that this was unrealistic or not a “real” job?” I asked Michael. Michael replied, “But what I want to do is selfish, it is self-centered, God probably would not be happy with my decision to change careers.” Oh contraire!

If you noted, earlier I told Michael about enthusiasm being ENTHEOS, God in you, God breathed, God inspired. To often when we pursue our passions and dreams they are shot down, or we feel that we are being selfish. So that would mean that God would be uninterested in our personal lives and careers. 

God created us with hearts and minds. We have emotions, passions, loves, and enthusiasm. I do not believe that those attributes are by accident. I believe that we were CREATED in His own image. My God is a creator and a passionate lover. That means that I am a co-creator and a passionate lover. Why would God create me and you to have vivid imaginations and passionate dreams only to crush them and say, “You must be practical and get a “real” job!” 

Consider what the ENTHEOS is saying inside of you. That inner voice that is pushing towards your dreams and passions. Consider the possibilities if you acted on your passions and dreams. Imagine taking action on those dreams and stepping out on faith. Think about the possibilities. . .

Walt Disney- Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney Studios, Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Imagineers. . .
Truett Cathy-Chick-fil-a, The Dwarf House, Winshape Camps and Foundation, The Chick-fil-a Bowl. . .
Ray Kroc- McDonalds Franchises, Ronald McDonald. . .
Angnus G. Wynne, Jr.- Founder of Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Over Georgia, Six Flags St. Louis. . .
Dave Ramsey- The Dave Ramsey Show, The Lampo Group, Inc., Financial Peace University, Total Money Makeover. . .

The list could go on and on. 

I leave you with this. . .
The guy in the story named Michael is me, MitchTheFielder. That was an actual conversation that I had with myself in August of 2009. Now you will be able to find me realizing my dream, working at a Theme Park. That’s right, I changed direction and acted on a dream and a passion that has been stirring for years.

It’s time to understand that the voice inside of you is God’s voice. He is longing for you to act on the passions and dreams that He put inside of you. When you move towards what aligns with your dreams and passions, you will be more fulfilled spiritually and you are on your way to what God created you to be.

0 comments: