makes_eat_time
In our culture we seem to be fed lies and we seem want to ingest more and more of the lies that are spilled each day. We seem to believe if we just have the right faith and pray the Prayer of Jabez we will live fully blessed and rich lives. We will get that front row parking spot because we “have the faith.” We will be given promotions and riches because we have the right faith.

I hate to admit it, but at times I ingest the lies, especially when it comes to my personal success. I seem to get hung up on the past and compare it to where I am right now. I think that when there is a period of no growth, or I feel like I am moving backwards, that I do no have the right faith. I must not be praying hard enough. I seem to think that every open door will lead to something I perceive as better than before.

What I have experienced in life is contrary to what is being marketed to the world. I will walk through a door and it slams shut behind me only to find the next door is locked. So I then sit there, in the dark room reminiscing about the days gone by. Somehow my mind makes those memories better than they were. Then I begin lying to myself and I begin to wonder where God is in all of this. I begin to wonder why he is not “blessing” me.
PAY ATTENTION
If I’d only paid attention to the real stories in the Bible. The Israelites were constantly wondering the same thing that I wonder sometimes. You only have to look to the Exodus to see what I am talking about. The Israelites were freed from Egypt, but time and time again they felt lost and abandoned. Even Moses got frustrated and started whining with the rest of the Israelites:

“Moses said to God, "Why are you treating me this way? What did I ever do to you to deserve this?” Numbers 11:11 (The Message)
You see, God had used Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt to their new home. However, they weren’t in Egypt anymore and they were not at home either. They were wandering in the desert.
Even when Israel finds its home, they still have periods of exile and silence from God. They cry out and wonder where God is. Is he on a lunch break? As The Fray puts it in “You Found Me”, is he on a smoke break?

Flash forward to when God sent Jesus. It was a time of hopelessness and darkness for the Jews. The Jews had been waiting for this for thousands of years.

Sometimes when we find ourselves in a waiting room with the door locked, it feels like God is out to lunch. We may be exactly where he wants us. We have reminders of what He has done in the past, we are shown what He is doing around us.

I continuously have to keep reminding myself that the story is not finished. My life story is not finished yet either. However, sometimes, God may be trying to finish the chapter in my life, but I want him to keep writing the chapter. I have got to learn to let him start writing the new chapter and let go.
Louie Giglio said in his “Hope of Glory” talk that, “God does not help people that are at the end of their rope, He helps those that let go of the rope.”
“Forget about what’s happened; don’t keep going over old history. Be alert, be present. I’m about to do something brand-new.”
Isaiah 43:18-19 (The Message)


"You Found Me" asks the question, "Where were you?"




0 comments: